Thursday, December 20, 2018

Soma Fantasy World Nizard

Fantasy World from Soma is one of my absolute favorite lines from the 1980's. Nizard here was one of  only two Fantasy World figures I had when I was a kid. I remember originally getting this guy just after Thanksgiving in 1983 .It was pouring down rain and cold , it was a very dark day almost like dusk all day long. I had earlier in the day cut a generous helping off of the end of my thumb (permanently warping the shape of my thumb) and had my thumb wrapped up in a huge amount a  gauze and bandages making my thumb look like it belong to the hand of a cartoon character.It had been a not great day but then I was offered a chance to go to the grocery store with my mom. It was a small grocery store called Russells IGA market and most of the time when my parents would bring me along I would stay in the little machine at the front of the store that showed cartoons but this time my mom was only picking up a few things so no time for the cartoon machine on that trip. The first thing about this trip was I got to pick out my own carton of ice cream ( a very rare opportunity ) I chose a holiday flavor of peppermint.eggnog . As we went through the last isle ( the bread aisle) I saw this guy and one other arbitrarily hanging on a hook .I grabbed it and asked if I could get it. My mom took it from me and checked the price then she took the other figure off of the hook and put them both in the cart. Score! I opened them in the car and played with the against the window  pretending the lights going by outside the car where magical powers being shot at my guys from the rainy mist. So I guess the moral of the story is , if you have an alcoholic mom who gets drunk at 8:30 am and lets you cut the end of your thumb off trying to slice cheese for a sandwich because no adult will feed you then you might end up with cool toys and gross ice cream at the end of the day!



I was able to snag this carded Nizard from Ebay the other day for an price less than what he sells for loose most of the time .The card was pretty beat so opening him wasn't so much of a crime.

3 comments:

  1. I only had 2 as a kid myself (Dragon Man and Nizard!) I really loved those guys and plan to get at least Dragon Man again one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw these as a kid.Loving the blue dude ,though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw these either, but they look almost as cool or even cooler than he-man!

    ReplyDelete